The Madness that is Me☺

My photo
Hello World! I am Den Whyte and I welcome you to my blog, twoleftsthenaright. I am a 20 year old student studying abroad. Now when I say abroad, I mean way abroad. But for you to really understand, let's start from the very beginning. I am the 5th of 6 children (but most people think I'm actually number 6). I have great dreams of seeing the world and becoming a world-renowned journalist/writer. I was born in the beautiful Caribbean Island of Antigua and Barbuda. In October of the year 2010, I packed all my belongings and hopped on a plane, flying across to the other side of the globe - leaving family, friends, doggies and 365 breathtaking beaches behind. How far across the world?? Morocco, Africa- that's how far! So for the next few years, as I yearn for the warmth of my family and native land, I will be sharing my thoughts and ideas with you my new friends via twoleftsthenaright. The name of this blog was taken from the direction to my home from the main road. Until I'm taking those two lefts then a right again, I will be dreaming/thinking out loud right here. Happy Reading!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

♥Love is in the Air♥

It's Valentines' Day again! The day that all the bitter people of this world love to hate :D.  Although I've never really celebrated Valentines' Day - on account of the fact that I've never had a valentine - I actually look forward to it each year.  Why?  It's pretty simple.

I wonder, on whose doorstep will this little fella end up?
This is the time for over-sized, over-priced teddy bears, balloons, red roses, chocolates and whatever else it is that people usually get/give while proclaiming the "love" between themselves and the "lucky" gal/guy in their life.  But why is it that I look forward to the bliss that is other people's lives? Well, as much as you would like make that gesture where you're sticking your finger down your throat to force yourself to gag - or whatever "hip" thing the young people are doing nowadays to show their disapproval - (wait, we still say "hip" right?) you know that deep down in that muddy puddle of a heart of yours, it often makes you want to smile or even say something nice like; "Awwee, how sweet... Suck it!"

What really goes off the cute-o-meter for me are the DIY V-day projects that the little ones get to spend the majority of the day working on.  I mean, don't you just miss those days of innocence and genuine, untainted love?  I can just see them now, sitting in preschool or kindergarten with piles of arts and crafts equipment; an endless supply of red, pink, and white paper, glitter, glue, scissors, markers, paint; drawing and cutting out hearts and writing a million "I love yous" on the million cards they made so that each family member, neighbour, teacher, stranger, friend and pet was sure to get one.  Oh sweet childhood!  Where have you gone? But enough reminiscing for now!

And what about the endless supply of love songs that you remember in time for the annual Valentines' Day playlist?  Actually, in Antigua, this goes on for the entire month of February.  I am a lover of most things musical and Valentines' Day always reminds me of all the loving music that this cold, cruel world has to offer.  I usually spend FOREVER trying to download EVERY single song I hear; songs which never cease to remind me of how much alone time I will be treating myself to on this day for lovers.  But pity me not! My love life isn't as boring and hopeless as I make it sound... it's a little better... I hope :S
How cute!

I know that we've all had friends ditch us on the weekends or years at a time in the name of  "love".  They either claimed to have been in love once, twice or thrice or are still masquerading about the place proclaiming their love for (insert name here).  As annoying as it may get sometimes, I'm sure we're all pretty happy for our friends and have even wished to, for even a brief moment, feel as much love for someone as have described.  Please note that if you've had that feeling of undying love before, this does NOT relate to you!

Many of us like to think that love is not important; that it's juvenile; that we should be concentrating on attaining world peace, ending world hunger, discontinue female mutilation in African countries, stop the killing of dolphins or getting the global economic crisis in order... Whatever you're into.  But anything, just anything else but obsessing about some gal/guy or another.  But the truth is, love is so much more than just kisses and roses and teddy bears and free sex or what not.  How do I figure this when the only love I've ever experienced has been between my family, friends and my endless quota of pets?  I honestly don't know!  I just feel it is... you know?
We don't encourage that around here... "that" meaning the bitterness that would make one want to kill poor cupid

Now I'm not talking about the movie love that always has the same or similar lines and direction and sometimes cast, but the real deal; the kind of love that sometimes turns into the making of a good movie :D  The kind of love that you can't explain, can't write about, can't sing about because it's so big and no words would ever do any justice to the concept that is this love.

So this year, I'm on a mission to get to know love for myself.  I think I've postponed getting to know love long enough and I'm ready!  Now I'm not expecting it to come in time for me to have a date tonight but whenever it does, I'll be waiting with open arms, ears and an open heart.  I'm guessing love lurking somewhere around here...like a ninja!  Just waiting in the darkness for the next hopeless soul to attack :D

Happy Valentines' Day Everyone ♥

No comments: